You are here

150 years of construction

The two earliest roads in Port-de-France were rue Paul Doumer (originally named Gout and then Montebello) and rue de Sébastapol (rue Foucher).  The next to be built were rue de la République (Testard) and rue Lebris, which became rue de l’Alma in 1860.

On 19 October 1867, a decree issued by Governor Guillain saw construction begin on the road leading to Port Despointes and Anse Vata.  The arrival of convicts in 1864 enabled major sanitation and land reclamation works to be carried out from 1869 in the marshy areas.

Around 1870, an embankment which extended rue de Sébastopol across the marshy Quartier-Latin enabled inhabitants to reach the areas of Mont Coffyn, Pointe de l’Artillerie and the foothills of Orphelinat more easily.  

The city continued to expand, encompassing Vallée des Colons in 1897.  Five years later, the construction of rue de Rivoli (now rue Georges Clémenceau) put Vallée du Tir on the city’s doorstep.  Baie de la Moselle, in its turn, was gradually filled in and, like the Quartier-Latin during the 1930’s economic crisis, it was a source of work for the many unemployed.  

The 1950’s saw the development of Receiving, Motor Pool, Orphelinat and Trianon.  During the nickel boom, Noumea’s outskirts stretched to the Ducos, Ouemo, Tina and Nouville peninsulas among others, while along the beaches, the residential areas of Val Plaisance, Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons sprang up.

More recently, the growth in population has led to new suburbs such as N’Géa and Tuband.