You are here

The origins of different neighbourhoods

  • Baie des Citrons – Lemon Bay : formerly known as Anse du Styx (Styx Cove) after an steam sloop.  The lemon trees planted at the back of the beach in the late 1800’s led to it being referred to as Baie des Citrons or Lemon Bay.  Today, it’s simply known as the BD…
  • Anse Vata : first called Baie des Canards, or Duck Bay, then Anse des Santals (Sandalwood Cove). In the Drubea-Kapone language it was known as « ouata », pronounced wata –  hence the name “Vata”  
  • Quartier-Latin : this area, located across the swamps from the city centre, was named after the Quartier-Latin in Lutèce (Paris), where the Romans established their quarters on the left bank of the Seine, whilst the small Gallic tribe at the time lived on the île de la Cité. 
  • Baie de l’Orphelinat – Orphanage Bay : first called Baie des Anglais (English Bay) then Anse Bayonnaise (Bayon Cove), it became Baie des Pêcheurs or Fisherman’s Bay in 1867. It owes its present name to the establishment which housed the wards of the Empress, young orphans under the wing of the welfare services.
  • Cap Horn : whilst the name is no longer in use today, this was the hill bordering the marshes which is now the site of the Cathedral.
  • Baie de la Moselle : once known as Anse Pipy (Pipy Cove), then Anse de l’Aventure (Aventure Cove, after Governor Du Bouzand’s ship), it now bears the name of a transport vessel, the Moselle, which was based in New Caledonia until the end of 1856.

(sources: Sud Infos magazine, Benoît Delvinquier)